The MRUs are mandated to undertake research primarily in Non-Communicable Diseases; other need based projects may, however, be undertaken as warranted and with the approval of the Competent Authority. For operating the MRU in college, a Local Research Advisory Committee (LRAC) is constituted which approves research proposals received from various Departments of the college and subsequently monitors their progress. The head of the Medical College/Research Institution shall also cause one of the members of the faculty, preferably of the level of Professor to be designated as nodal officer for overseeing the functioning of the MRU. Since its introduction, the scheme has been very successful in realizing its objective of creating and strengthening research environment/infrastructure in the country.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS OF THE MRUs
- To promote and encourage quality medical research in the Medical Colleges/Institutions.
- To constitute local research advisory committees for identifying the research priorities and projects with participation of State health system officials.
- To undertake research in non-communicable diseases and other need-based research as recommended by the Local Research Advisory Committee.
WHO CAN APPLY
Govt. Medical Colleges/Research Institutes/ Medical Universities
- The approved MRUs will be eligible for onetime non-recurring grant-in-aid for (i) civil construction, and (ii) purchase of equipments, and recurring grant for (a) salaries, (b) contingencies/consumables/training etc.
- Grants-in-aid for salaries, contingencies/consumables/training etc. would be disbursed from the 2nd year of the approval of the MRU. However, if an MRU is in a position to undertake research from the very first year of approval and its case is recommended by the Local Research Advisory Committee (LRAC) of the college/research institute, request will be considered by DHR on merit basis for release of recurring grant from the 1st year itself.
- Purchase of equipment by the MRU would be need based and as per the recommendations of LRAC.
- The mechanism of flow of funds will be as per the procedures followed by the Department of Health & Family Welfare in respect of similar schemes.
- The state government will be required to provide requisite space (free of cost) for establishing MRUs in medical colleges/research institute.
- The units approved before 01.04.2021 will also continue to receive grants-in-aid as per the norms prescribed in these guidelines.
PRESENT STATUS OF IMPLEMENTATION
- A total 80 MRUs have been approved up to 31 March 2021.
MRU GUIDELINES AND FORMATS
Formats are available under MRU link in Download Section
Concerned Officer dealing with MRU Scheme (Scientific)
||Dr. Aparna Mukherjee
||Dr. Tanu Anand
Concerned Officer dealing with MRU Scheme (Administration)